Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Representing the Community of Pinole

With each day inching closer-and-closer to take-off, I can't help but appreciate the great community of Pinole - our active student base, inspirational students, and extracurricular activities augment its reputation. 

I've been a student of Pinole Valley High School for two years, and I've seen much of the community through Pinole Valley's Marching Band, Interact (community service), Forensics (speech and debate), Junior Statesmen of America (politics club), and even through the ILC. When I march down the parade with my head up high, I see the respect in the audience's eyes; when I speak my mind in front of the public, I hear nothing because they're listening; and when I serve dinner to a family, they greet me with a smile and I smile back. It's through these small events that I've come to love the community of Pinole. If I was in their position, I would never do these tasks because I would have thought they were negligible. But as time progressed, I've realized the effect that they have on me; I became obligated to help the community because of these small exchanges. 

Although, we were only given twenty minutes to speak at the meeting today, those minutes meant so much for the ILC - and even to myself. Now, don't get me wrong, this is hardly "small" at all - twenty minutes to speak in front of an audience to present ourselves is far from that. If it weren't for this opportunity, our names  - the students - would not be out there. This was an opportunity to show the community of Pinole just how professional and educated we can be. And for that, I thank Pinole. 


1 comment: