Thursday, June 27, 2013

First Day in Philly

Goodbye Bay Area!
Our flight took off at 6:25 AM (California time) and landed in Chicago around 1 PM (Chicago time). The flight from California to Chicago was uneventful. It felt like a really long time to me, but that was probably because I felt queasy and was suffering from a headache.

When we arrived in Chicago, Mr. Hillyer bought us lunch at Potbelly, which is an East Coast restaurant. I ordered the meatball sandwich, which was really good! Before we went onto our next plane, which would take us to Philadelphia, Mr. Hillyer gave us an assignment. He assigned us to sit next to a random person on the plane and start a conversation with him/her.

I ended up sitting between an older woman and a young man. The older woman, Ellen, was from St. Louis, Missouri and was going to Pennsylvania to get software for the company she works for that does electronic health records. The young man who sat next to me, Jared, attends college in Idaho and is a high school history teacher. He is originally from Pennsylvania, so he was going there to visit his grandparents and father. While I was carrying on my conversation with these folks, the people behind me joined our conversation. I found out that the people behind me were a mom and her preteen daughter from Ventura, California and they were going to visit her older daughter who is now married with a child in Pennsylvania.

Meeting these people on the plane was fun, and I enjoyed hearing their stories. They were all really friendly and a joy to sit next to for a two hour flight.
Hello Philadelphia! 
We finally landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania around 5:40 PM. Everyone went to their rooms to settle down, and after Mr. Hillyer took us to a local pizzeria.

The food at the pizzeria was good, but the size proportions were really large. Kai and Michael had ordered a small pizza each. The pizzas were very big, and what would be considered small in this restaurant would be considered large in any pizza parlor in my neighborhood in California.

Today has been tiring, due to all the flying, so I am off to bed. 

This blog is a reprint of a blog posted on June 25th.  The original blog and comments were accidently deleted.

3 comments:

  1. I’m not sure I understand this: I tell you all to sit with strangers on the plane, strike up conversations and reach out to people you might not otherwise reach out to and it goes in one ear and out the other. Mr. Hillyer tells you to do the exact same thing and you rave about how this is such a great idea. I’m feeling abused here--and underappreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Originally Posted by Ivette Alejandre on June 26th.

    I’m so happy for you, Audrey, and I look forward to reading more about your summer on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say Don? I have the power...or the proximity to remind them. :)

    ReplyDelete