Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Standby for Liftoff

Today was a high stress, white knuckle day.  In school we completed the last of our finals, which would seal the fates of our grades for the year. After school ended, I had a long and tiring workout running around Pinole Park.  However, I almost forgot that today was also the mandatory orientation for the ILC at Pinole Middle School.  So I had to hurry to get there on time and find rendezvous with my mother.  While I was driving, all I could think about was how I looked like a mess and might potentially be late.  Then, while on the freeway, driving 55 MPH, the car in front of me decided that he was going to come to a complete stop.  I slammed on my brakes causing everything in the back seat to fly forward and hit me in the back of the head.  So now I’m all sweaty and tired, dazed, and confused and still pushing the envelope on getting there on time.  Thankfully, though, I managed to arrive early and everything was alright.  

During the orientation, we discussed the technical details of our trip and the rules of the ILC.  During the presentation, the only thing on my mind was if UPENN had received the necessary paperwork that I emailed them.  The fact that Don and Mr. Ramsey repeatedly called out the PENN cohort for having late paperwork didn’t help.  I was tempted to check my phone for an email update, but then I remembered when Don had told us long ago that nothing was ruder than taking out a cell phone during a presentation. In fact Mr. Ramsey went into detail about the similarities between rudeness and tardiness, as a few unfortunate people found out who were also late.  However, Don and Mr. Ramsey were absolutely correct about tardiness.  I know from work experience that managers don’t care whether or not you continue to work for them or not due to your lack of ability to get to work on time.  

On a more pleasant note, we finally received our itineraries for the trip.  After seeing the immense amount of traveling we will be doing, I was overwhelmed with the sense of apprehension.  I always wanted to be like the fictional characters from television and movies who are always working around the clock until the job is done.  I realized that this summer would be my chance at doing such that.  Our cohort will be so busy that when the job is finally done, the reward will be that much more satisfying.  In addition to the apprehension following the itinerary, the reality of the ILC was finally becoming clear.  Before, the ILC was just something that promised limitless rewards and the chance of a lifetime, but I never really felt that feeling until now. As there is only one week remaining in school, and my friends will soon be burdened with boredom, I will take comfort in the knowledge that I won’t have to worry about filling in the hours of my summer.  While others sleep twelve hours a day, I will be working hard in the never ending quest for knowledge, opportunity, and a better life.  Pennsylvania, here we come.

1 comment:

  1. Don’t you just love it when everything you had stored in the back of your car is now on your dashboard?

    It’s funny you should mention about the Penn cohort’s paperwork. We didn’t get it finalized until just 8 days before you departed. Perhaps now you can understand our frustration.

    ReplyDelete