Monday, June 24, 2013

It's Time

After three weeks of mindless lollygagging, it's time to depart. It's nice to know that I had a chance to rest for a short while before we took off - gave me time to do some research. 

I would have never imagined that I'd be given a chance to take a physics course - especially experimental physics - at an Ivy League school. This is the stuff of my dreams - to analyze nature itself and formulate a methodical theory, then using equipment to test these interpretations. The scientific paradigm - trying to understand reality with reasoning. It's unimaginable how far science has come. Galileo was ostracized and criticized for his efforts to revolutionize the religious paradigm. In his efforts, he denied utmost "truths" that people believed in and took another route of thinking. I mention Galileo because he was the first one to come to mind, so this is not at all to neglect the other revolutionaries. History class teaches about revolutions and wars - constantly mentioning the massive amount of bloodshed. Scientists may not have used guns, but their efforts indirectly combated society itself. Pretty revolutionary if you ask me. Anyways, the times have changed and now even Christians and Catholics believe in evolution, particles, and physics. Times have obviously changed. But with this course, I want to place myself in a scientific mindset. I'll question fundamental physics theories and deny them if the context is not convincing. I hope to develop my skills as a researcher and come back a better scientist. 

Other than that, Pennsylvania is going to be a blast! I wonder what kind of people I'll meet? What about the food? Will anything there completely influence me? How is train different? The sites? What is the hip-hop scene like? I have so many questions and I want them answered! 

I'm not really sure what to expect. I can't really construct Pennsylvania in my head. I've looked through pictures on Google, but those did not help me create a clear picture. I believe it's better to not expect anything major, the experience of learning will be far greater. I've been reading the blogs of the other schools and as I was reading, I became more and more jittery. Great things are to come! 

1 comment:

  1. We’re spending nearly $10,000 on you and you want to know what the hip hop scene is like? Where did we go wrong?

    ReplyDelete