Saturday, June 29, 2013

Roar, Lion, Roar

Which school’s alumni include four presidents, ninety-seven Nobel Prize winners, and five of the founding fathers of the country? The answer is Columbia University!

Today my cohort and I took a two hour train ride to New York City to tour Columbia University. Mr. Hillyer’s aunt, Dr. Hillyer, is a researcher at the university, so she showed us around and told us about the school.

Columbia University was founded in 1754 and has a lot of history behind it. History is also important to the school, so freshman are all required to take certain courses (mathematics, literature, history, etc.) to learn about their history. Columbia believes that their students can change the world if they are knowledgeable of the past because they can learn from it. Columbia is a school that is open about their philosophy. Their philosophy is to create scholars and great thinkers. They have many alums who graduate, make something of themselves in the world, and come back and contribute to Columbia. Columbia even attracts the attention of others, such as Al Gore who has taught a class there.

Columbia University has top of the line programs, such as the law and engineering programs, but they do not provide a premed or prelaw program. This is because the school is focused more on building their student’s intellectual capacities than on teaching them a certain skill. Columbia trains their students to be the best of the best and to become CEOs and government officials. Dr. Hillyer let us know that Columbia University is a very selective school that does not base its admission solely on grades, but also on character. 
Columbia University campus
The campus was beautiful and what I learned about the school helped me to think more about the type of school I am looking for. Columbia University is a great school that has definitely caught my attention.

Times Square
After our tour at Columbia University, we went inside St. John's Cathedral, walked through Central Park (not all of it!), took the subway, and went to a local Jewish Deli. The deli was crowded, but I understood why once I tried the food. The sandwiches were delicious and melted in our mouths. While we were waiting for our food, the waiters put starters on our table. Nothing unusual about that, but the starters were cabbage slaw and pickles. That was something I had never experienced before. At the restaurant, Jun ate a full three-decker sandwich that was larger than his head. That was something to watch.

After the deli we went to Times Square, then the 9-11 memorial. It was a beautiful memorial dedicated to a heartbreaking event that has forever changed the lives of many. After the memorial, we went souvenir shopping and ate authentic New York pizza. The pizza was thinner and lighter than the California pizza I am used to eating. It was so good, that even though I was still full from the deli food, I still had to have another slice.
9-11 Memorial 

We finally arrived back in Philadelphia at 10 PM, and I am now completely worn out. Walking 16 miles (Mr. Hillyer keeps track) can really tire out a person.


Today was a great day and I am sad to conclude these school tours. I have really enjoyed seeing and learning about these different schools and weighing my options. Now, we will all be moving into our dorms and starting the classes we came out here to take! 

1 comment:

  1. The way you described things it made me wish I was there--except for the 16 miles of walking. Thanks for sharing, Audrey.

    ReplyDelete