Monday, June 24, 2013

Off to Philadelphia

The hours to takeoff are slowly but surely approaching. It's amazing to think of all my time and effort, as well as the time and effort of many others, that went into getting me to Philadelphia in just a few hours. 

The application process was long, highly competitive and stressful. I am certain that it will be worth it, though, because this trip really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. How often do you get an all expenses paid trip to study something you love at an Ivy League school? As well as getting to do college tours at amazing schools on the East Coast. 

I am nervous, excited and grateful. I am nervous for meeting new people. I've spent a lot of time thinking about what the people in my social justice course will be like and if I will make a lot of friends. I'm hoping to meet people from other countries and have a chance to talk with them about whatever country they might be from. I'm excited because, like I said, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and, as well as being a lot of work, I'm confident I will also have a lot of fun. I want to compare this trip to my last which was a 3 week service learning trip to Nicaragua. I hope that the lessons I learned about poverty and world problems will tie in to what I am going to be studying at UPENN. I am also, as always, extremely grateful that this program exists and was made available to me. 

2 comments:

  1. The road to Philadelphia has been long and arduous but you’ve finally reached the point where you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. All that is left is to hop on that airport shuttle in a few hours and grasp what’s being offered. We have faith in you, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don! I'm proud of myself for getting this far and so grateful for the ILC believing in me.

    ReplyDelete