Sunday, July 21, 2013

Between A Rock and A Hard Place


Today was a boring Sunday here at Penn.  I slept in because I needed the sleep and also because I couldn't go to any activities.  Today was the only day when my radioactive decay group members could meet and work on the presentation that is due by Wednesday.  In order to remain available for the day, I had to remain here at the Quad so that I could be ready to work when everyone else was ready.  There weren't really any good activities today anyway, the only one that seemed interesting was ice-skating but I had already done that last Sunday.

For our presentation, we worked using PowerPoint.  We ended up spending most of our time trying to find an accurate equation that modeled the data that we acquired during our testing.  After we had finished with the mathematical functions, we concluded that the rate of the radioactive decay wasn't exponential, but a power function.  After long hours of arguing over the results we finally called it a day and went to dinner.  I am interested in hearing what our professors have to say about our findings and the conclusions that we made from them. 

With the exponential data almost completed, we now look to our Hersey Park data.  I believe that this will be the most difficult because after almost a week of having our data available we still haven’t been able to access is, therefore preventing us from working on the presentation.  Computer problems have prevented us from opening the file with all of our data in it.  A plan of action is needed now before it becomes too late.  To complicate things even more, the radio-telescope group will be working this week and will have to make a presentation for that as well.  It will be difficult for me to coordinate good times where i can work on all three presentations and make them adequate enough to present.

No comments:

Post a Comment