Saturday, July 13, 2013

Capital City

The Summer Discovery staff planned a mandatory trip to Washington DC today. We again took the buses, and it was about a two and a half hour ride. We left around 8:15 AM and arrived around 10:30 AM. They gave us until 1:45 PM to wander around the National Mall. Since we did not get breakfast before we arrived, a lot of my friends and I were hungry so we ate at one of the museums. It was very expensive food, but when I realized that they don't charge admission to the museum I decided I would support them by buying their expensive food. 
Audrey, Ali and I in front of the National Museum of American History



After we ate we looked around the whole National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian. We looked at exhibits featuring the civil war, where my friend and I could even learn all the complicated steps to using the guns. It's amazing that they were trained to do all those steps just to shoot the gun once and then have to do the whole thing again. Audrey and I looked at a timeline of the 44 presidents of the United States and below each president it named an event that happened during their presidency. The events seemed kind of random. I felt as if they could have chosen more significant events or events that were more relevant to the president himself. I would have liked to see what the museum would portray as the most important decision each president made. Afterwards, we found some of our Social Justice classmates in the First Ladies section. Almost the whole room was dedicated to showing off their Inaugural gowns, and it seemed that that's all the patrons wanted to see. As Social Justice students, we had an interesting conversation about how we felt that they should be recognized for all the important things they did for this country, not their fashion choices. 
The stairs at Georgetown were extremely steep

After we looked around more in the museum and checked out the gift shops, we had about thirty more minutes. We decided to just briefly look at each landmark or museum and take a general outdoors tour of the area. My friend Ali and I realized the area seems to be based off of Paris because of the many similarities in the development. 

We arrived in Georgetown at around 2:30 PM and were given until 5:45 PM to explore the campus and the surrounding town. We looked around Georgetown a little bit, but were not able to gather much information because the campus was pretty much abandoned for the summer. The buildings were beautiful though; there was a good mix between castle architecture and normal buildings.

Add caption
We walked around and tried different food in the city. The area was cute and reminded me a lot of the surroundings of most of the other schools we visited. One highlight of that time to explore was trying the famous Georgetown Cupcakes, which has their own show on TLC called DC Cupcakes. The line was extremely long, all the way down the block, but it was the kind of thing where you just had to do it anyways. In my opinion, it was definitely worth it. My sea salt and caramel cupcake and the peanut butter chocolate one were both extremely delicious! 

Overall, I was impressed by what we saw of Washington DC! It was very clean and beautiful. I hope I will be able to return again someday to see more of the attractions!

No comments:

Post a Comment