Saturday, July 13, 2013

Capitol Effect

Summer Discovery planned another trip for us today; this time, we went to Washington to visit the Capitol and Georgetown. Surprisingly, the bus ride to Washington did not put me in a drowse because we watched Monsters Inc. These buses are fairly fancy (none of that school bus stuff) so they have multiple televisions in there for entertainment. Monsters Inc. gave me nostalgia; I remember the first time I watched it, it was heartwarming. Pixar does a great job in making animated movies. The simplistic and childish humor touches not only children but also adults (and everything in between). 


After arriving in the Capitol, my friends and I spent some time wandering around. I'm not much of a tourist so I wasn't "going bananas" over the attractions. However, I will say that the Capitol is impressive. Through the people and architecture, it really evokes a nationalism. I could tell that I was at the Capitol - there were museums everywhere. 


The first museum I checked out had things throughout the history of America. There was a section specifically devoted to the history of food. I thought it would be about the transition from farming to processed food, but it had a much more cultural aspect to it. A majority of the Food Section was devoted to a French woman (I'm so bad with names) who revolutionized American dining. She made it popular to drink wine with meals through her television show. 


We also visited the Space Museum. There were a bunch of nifty and cool things to look at, but overall, the museum was boring. There wasn't much variety they had to offer - just a bunch of planes and space equipment. Sure, it's a nice attraction for tourists but from my perspective, there wasn't anything to analyze. Much of the things there were replicas and they didn't feel authentic. Also, the information they provided was pretty generic and I wasn't impressed by it. 




I don't really like Georgetown. Although, I didn't get a chance to visit Georgetown University, I can say, for sure, that I don't like the environment. It didn't have a strong effect on me visually and emotionally like that of Princeton, Swarthemore, and Penn. The town feels unique because its architecture is based on an older America, but I'm not interested in that. Also, I know some information on Georgetown University. It's more of a liberal art school orientated towards politics. I'm not interested in pursuing a career as a politician nor as a public service agent. Although, that may have changed if I had experienced a tour of the school. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to explore the city and the university, so I chose to explore the city. That didn't work out, but I can undoubtedly say that I currently do not want to attend Georgetown University. However, it did remind me of home. For once, in the East Coast, there were finally hills! I was so happy to see hills that I ran up the bigger slopes, my friends thought I was acting weird. Overall, today was a nice breather and I had the chance to view a prospective college. Sadly, I didn't like it, but that doesn't mean I won't change! 

No comments:

Post a Comment