Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 8: Goodbye Theatre, Hello Lectures

Today was our last day working with Lisa Jo and doing the Theatre of the Oppressed. I really enjoyed it and I am happy that I had this experience because I definitely took a lot away from it. Doing TO with Lisa Jo really helped me to finally become comfortable with my class, which is something I had not been feeling thus far. This class has helped me to own up to my thoughts, opinions, and experiences by using the word "I" instead of generalizing and speaking for others by using the word "You." My observations are that Lisa Jo has changed our class for the better with TO, whether everyone realizes it yet or not. 

After we said our goodbyes to Lisa Jo, we had presentations from Zohra, a lawyer, and Cassidy, who is in a foreign affairs program in Washington D.C. Zohra spoke to us about U.S. drones in Pakistan and its components, which is militarization and human rights. Cassidy spoke to us about the Iraq War and how U.S. actions affect the whole world. After the presentations the floor was open for discussion and the students had a lot to say. Many students in our class are from other countries and have felt the effects of U.S. actions, so it was interesting to hear their responses to the presentation.


After class, all of Summer Discovery went to hear the Dean of Admissions, Eric Furdas, speak about the University of Pennsylvania. He was very informative and honest about what UPenn is looking for and how the admissions process works here. He showed us his blog, which has important information like the Penn essay question. There were also tips like the "5 I's," Identity, Intellect, Ideas, Interests, and Inspiration, and the "4 C's," Culture, Curriculum, Community, and Conclusions. These are all tips for helping us understand ourselves and understand what type of school we are all looking for. 

Today has been a day full of self-observation, and has made me more excited and interested in the University of Pennsylvania.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea there were so many “I”s and “C”s. My alphabet has far fewer. I like his better.

    No matter how many times I listen to what admissions officers are looking for, I still can’t seem to narrow things down so I no for sure. That’s why we have to keep listening.

    ReplyDelete