Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 17: The Last Chapters

The Wilma Theatre
Today was my last Wednesday in the Social Justice Research Academy.


"My Dinner with Dito"
We had two guest speakers, John Gilmore and Charlie Howard, come speak to us about Religion and Spirituality. It was very interesting and something I would like to learn more about. Karl Marx said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses and the sigh of the oppressed." We talked about a lot, but what stuck with me was the lesson on selfless love. "Love in a way that doesn't make sense," Charlie said. Then for the second part of class, half of the class went to Chinatown with Michael and Meghna, and the other half stayed in class with Nicole and Julia and had a free period.
The after-show Q & A
The class played Mafia, which is usually a card game, drew pictures, and had a short dance lesson from Nicole. 


Then we were taken to the City, where we watched a play at The Wilma Theatre. The play/musical was called "My Dinner with Dito," and it was focused around a gay seder.  It explored the lives that gay men typically lead, especially in their youth, and what the future will be like. Something that was explored was that homosexuality becoming accepted comes with positives and negatives; they are allowed by society to no longer be a secret and to love who they love, but that also means they lose their culture and things change when they try to fit in. These positives and negatives can apply to other things besides homosexuality, though. After the play, we were able to have a sit down with the actors, who are all a part of the Bearded Ladies Troupe, and ask them questions. I loved the play beyond words! It was so fun and exciting and touching. 

My paper plate
Afterwards, our class was taken to dinner by Andy and Michael to Pizza Rustica, where everyone ate, talked, and enjoyed each other's company. Then I met with my dorm floor mates for our weekly meeting, and we said our goodbyes to each other. Our RC, Haile, decorated paper plates for each of us and mine said, "Most likely to become known for her writing and innovative style." Thanks, Haile!


Today was a day full of laughter and love, and I am going to miss this so much. I have about two more days left, but I already miss everyone. I have come to make great friends here, and there are some people I wish I could have gotten to know more. I love my Social Justice class and the University of Pennsylvania. I am going to miss all of this so much, but I am going to soak in as much as I can in the days that I have left. I am so happy I was able to be here and experience all that I have experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment