Monday, July 8, 2013

New Week, New Start


Today we were back to class in the second week of our four week program.  it was a fun and exciting day in physics filled with more laser demonstrations and experiments. We also rotated lab partners in order to meet new people and change things up a little.  I personally like the change in lab partners.   Not that I didn't like my old partners, but it was just a good opportunity to meet new people and to see what their own skills were and what they could do to enhance the experience.  Today’s morning lab was a continuation of an old lab from last Friday about wave interference and finding the wavelength of a laser beam.  This was the last lab with our old partners before we were assigned our new ones. 

After lunch we changed subjects from waves to electricity.  We were discussing the introductory properties of electricity and performed a simple activity during class using pieces of tape in order to go about finding the electrical properties of different materials.  It was a simple and easy activity that I might be able to bring back to my high schools science club for our science outreaches that we host at multiple elementary schools in our area.  After the activity and lecture was over, it was off to the lab to learn how to use a volt meter and to test the electrical resistance of multiple conductive objects.   This was also a fun and interesting lab that may also be worth sharing at my school.  This lab was also the first lab with our new lab partners.  Our group performed the tasks smoothly and in a timely manner and I predict that we will continue to do so.

After classes were all over, I spent the rest of the day roaming the residence halls in search of new undiscovered territories with my friend Andrew.  However, we accidentally stumbled upon a random room at the end of a hallway that was actually the home of a Professor.    He didn't seem particularly amused with us but let us be without too much penalty.  I was caught completely off guard because I had no idea that professors lived in the dorms.  Granted these we actually giant suites that may as well been a one floored house, but I still didn't expect professors to be living in the residence halls with the students.  After that, we went to the movie lounge where everyone was watching the movie “SEVEN”.   It was a heart pounding mystery suspense thriller with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freedman.  I sincerely enjoyed it and plan on watching it again in the future.  It is not that often when there is a good quality mystery film with a big budget and big name actors.  When the film was all over and done with, I went back to my dorm just in time for room checks.  Now it is time to go over Ohm’s Law and get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment